I don't think that's it.  As I said, there appears to be something
funny about the javascript that SAGE is using to invoke Jmol.  My
normal Jmol pages work fine on FireFox on Windows, MacOS and Linux,
but Jmol in SAGE only works in Safari on MacOS and I've seen
occasional failures on Windows.  Something is happening to the load
because we get the blackbox (which means Jmol loaded) but nothing
else.  It's a silent failure to load the script and datafile
properly.  I'm a bit swamped now, but will try to spend some time
tracing it.

Are you sure you are looking at the java applet console?  Do you see
all the information about the applet load, file calls?  We may have to
up the debug level to get the information we need.  This will require
a recompile of the applet.

Jonathan