On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Jonathan wrote:

> Bug fixes and code changes are documented with some more detail in the
> file jmol.properties that can be found in the source code in the
> directory src/org/jmol/viewer.
>
> We try pretty hard not to change historical behavior unless it is
> determined to be erroneous, so new versions usually work as drop-in
> replacements for older versions, unless you are relying on erroneous
> behavior.  An example I encountered was that I was depending on Jmol
> molecular structure from a particular data file type.  When that was
> fixed, I had to rewrite my  web page that used those orbitals.

I just dropped it into an older Sage release 3.4 and had no problems. Thanks.

> What problem were people having with Jmol on Windows?  Can you
> describe it in detail?  The only failure problem I was aware of was
> that it didn't work well with the non-Sun versions of the JavaVM on
> some Linux ditros.  At this point we don't have the manpower to
> support other virtual machines.

See this thread:

Jmol will not display graphics

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/d3e59fd3cca25bb2/60546d2ec8041ebc?lnk=gst&q=Jmol+will+not+display+graphics#60546d2ec8041ebc

Unfortunately there is no change in behavior with this update. It
still works fine for me on my Linux clients and when using Windows
Vista, but on a slightly older laptop running  Windows XP (up-to-date
with SP2) it still fails. In Sage notebook jmol appears to load and
the graphics window appears but it is blank. I cannot see any object
but the window is otherwise responsive. I can right click and change
background color, axes and other options and I do see these displayed
but no graphic!  This same page on the same server when viewed from
the other clients works fine.

Regards,
Bill Page.