On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 1:29 pm, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> William Stein wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > I just started one instance of virtualbox on
>> > boxen.math.washington.edu... which had the effect of completely
>> > crashes
>> > *all* theVMwarevirtual machines running on that machine.  I'm
>> > working on rebooting boxen.math right now.  With
>> > a lot of luck everything will be back within 30 minutes.
>>
>> You can follow the play-by-play live-action drama on Sage IRC
>> (irc.freenode.net, #sage-devel)
>
> Anymore news on this front? Everything formerly hosted on sagemath
> seems to be down (trac, wiki, hg repo, all the subprojects...), and
> when I log into sagemath from boxen my account is gone.
>
> I assume you're working still looking into this?

Vmware is completely hosed on that machine and
upgrading/reinstalling/etc. doesn't help at all.  It just doesn't
work.  And given the closed source nature of vmware (which means that
often the online support sucks) there is basically nothing to do about
it.   Why?  The Ubuntu operating system has been upgrading a bit since
vmware was installed... and vmware server -- a free closed source
product -- can be very finicky.

So  I created some new virtualbox virtual machines, since virtualbox
does work on boxen.math.  This was surprisingly painful.  Anyways, I'm
currently transferring the data from the old virtual machines's disks
to the new ones, at which time I'll be able to restart them.  This
could take many hours, because VirtualBox reads vmware disks very
slowly.

Basically this sucks, and I've learned my lesson regarding using
VMware Server (lesson: don't ever use that program!).

 -- William