On Oct 2, 2009, at 12:06 AM, William Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:03 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Robert Bradshaw
>> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

>>> Anymore news on this front? Everything formerly hosted on sagemath
>>> seems to be down (trac, wiki, hg repo, all the subprojects...), and
>>> when I log into sagemath from boxen my account is gone.
>>>
>>> I assume you're working still looking into this?
>>>

>> Vmware is completely hosed on that machine and
>> upgrading/reinstalling/etc. doesn't help at all.  It just doesn't
>> work.  And given the closed source nature of vmware (which means that
>> often the online support sucks) there is basically nothing to do
>> about
>> it.   Why?  The Ubuntu operating system has been upgrading a bit
>> since
>> vmware was installed... and vmware server -- a free closed source
>> product -- can be very finicky.
>>
>> So  I created some new virtualbox virtual machines, since virtualbox
>> does work on boxen.math.  This was surprisingly painful.  Anyways,
>> I'm
>> currently transferring the data from the old virtual machines's disks
>> to the new ones, at which time I'll be able to restart them.  This
>> could take many hours, because VirtualBox reads vmware disks very
>> slowly.
>
> I just want to add that even this really sucks.  Using virtualbox to
> read from vmware disks is not fun: It's fast, then slow, then randomly
> just totally hangs and one has to reboot the virtual machine, etc.

Thanks for the update--I'm sorry for all your pain. You've probably
already thought of this, but perhaps you could copy the images to
some computer that does have a working vmware, and use scp/rsync to
get the need files out (though this wouldn't give you an image, and
I'm not sure how much data we're talking here). Of course then you'd
have a network bottleneck. Sounds like a mess, hopefully VirtualBox
will be less painful once we're actually on it.

- Robert