Reading the bug report it seemed to me that the code was determining
in some way that terms could be dropped off the sum because they were
too small to contribute, and then
stopped adding them in. Is that the "simple implementation bug"? Or is
that an additional bad idea?

As for me looking it up in the literature, I came across this paper.
Though it is really about compiling the evaluation of polynomials:
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/papers/polyval.pdf

If you are going to evaluate the same polynomial at many points, you
might want to
use that, or look at the references in that paper for yet more ideas.

Or use Google. Try searching for    polynomial evaluation FFT
for some odd papers.

RJF