On Oct 4, 11:00 am, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
<snip..>

> You (or anyone else) could have followed Fredrik's frequent and
> detailed blogposts here:
>
> http://planet.sympy.org/

I quote from a recent entry by Frederik:

"

The tests above use well-behaved object functions; some corner cases
are likely fragile at this point. I also know, without having tried,
that many other calculus functions utterly don't work in fixed
precision (not by algorithm, nor by implementation). Some work will be
needed to support them even partially. At minimum, several functions
will have to be changed to use an epsilon of 10-5 or so since full
15-16-digit accuracy requires extra working precision which just isn't
available.

"

So it seems that we can expect the programs to get the easy problems
right, and the hard problems, maybe not.

> or on his blog, during 2008 GSoC and later too. There was for example
> a guy from IEEE giving comments to Fredrik's posts and as you can see,
> if we discover that there are bugs, we try to fix it asap.

I searched for IEEE and didn't find any hits.  I don't know what it
means to be "a guy from IEEE".  Was this someone who was on the IEEE
754 (binary floating-point standard) committee?   [I was.]

Reading through that blog I got the distinct impression that a lot of
work was done.  It is hard to say how much of it was just recoding in
python of stuff that existed in some other language.