> I don't know how much we can count on distutils/distribute/scons/? to
> support non-gnu toolchains. On the other hand, if we're just using
> pure Python, then I agree that it would lend itself to a much cleaner
> build system (though then we risk re-inventing the wheel...)

Maybe somebody more familiar with python than me should look at "buildout".

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout

Given that sage is a collection of (sub)programs + some clueing code,
I'd say that might also be an option.

The Plone (plone.org) people are using it to build and manage different
subpackages. Given my experience with Plone, I find it rather attractive
that I just have to change a version number in buildout.cfg and re-build
and the system will pull the new version from pypi.python.org and
install it locally. That is rather similar to what I've seen Sage doing
with it's spkg system only that the buildout is properly taking care of
version numbers.

Ralf