About 0^0
> Even for discrete things like elements of GF(5)?  I haven't thought
> about what 0^0 is for things where the continuous limit doesn't make sense.

In any ring, integer power x^n is défined by x^0 = 1, because an empty
product is the unit element.
The reason is the same for 0!=1. But x^(-n) is only defined if x has an
inverse.

In analysis 0^0 is undefined because it's a undefined limit:

un^vn = exp(un * log vn).
Try with un=1/n et vn=1/n and limit un^vn == 1
But for un=a/log n -> 0 and vn=1/n -> 0 un*log vn =-a and un^vn ->