I don't want to add confusion, but I hope you can also think about the
similarity between mechanical and electrical problems. After all, it's
always matter of solving differential equations, having voltage,
current, and so on, instead of mechanical quantities.
The good thing, from this perspective, is that you could take some
inspiration from the hundreds of SPICE tools, which already provide a
GUI to define electrical problems. If you transpose the analogous of a
netlist into something mechanical, you maybe already have a good
starting point, which also gives you compatibility to electrical
problem (which I would like :P).

Just to give a rough idea, you could read:
http://www.analog-europe.com/207200675
(this is just after some google search, but there are thousands of
references about circuit solvers).
The good thing, in my opinion, is that there is already a standard
notation for netlists. Maybe you could introduce the mechanical
equivalent of those :)

Regards

Maurizio