On 10/24/09, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't get Maxima--5.19.1 to build on Itanium on top of ECL.   The
> build fails with:
> --------------------
> ;;; Emitting code for DO-MERGE-SYMM.
> ;;; Emitting code for DO-MERGE-ASYM.
> ;;; Internal error: #<a floating-point-overflow>
> during initialization:

clmacs.lisp has a lot of floating point stuff in it, to calculate
extreme values and what-not. Do you have a working build from
an earlier version of Maxima? If so, try
:lisp (load "path/to/clmacs.lisp")
in Maxima. That should fail with a more informative message.

If you don't have a working version, try reverting clmacs.lisp.
I don't know how far back you'll have to go.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

Robert Dodier