What about adopting a simpler strategy?
What do you think about this: every 6 months (or 9, or 12 whatever),
the developers are asked to focus on producing bugfixing instead of
introducing new features. In this way, what happens is that one
release every "n" months could be considered more stable and reliable,
and these releases are kept on the website available for downloading
together with the current release.
In this way, I hope, there's really no overhead in the current work.
Of course, some effort in changing goals twice a year would be
required, so that old problems are solved.

Thanks for discussing this

Regards

Maurizio