Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> Ondrej Certik wrote:
>>
>>> I solve this problem by using gmail, filtering all messages into the
>>> "sage" label (folder) and then when I want to check threads, which I
>>> am involved in, I click on the "sent emails" link and gmail will
>>> highlight those threads that contain new emails. So it's super easy
>>> for me to see if someone has said anything. The only disadvantage is
>>> that sometimes someone replies a week later, and thus the highlighted
>>> thread will be on some older page in the "sent emails" view in gmail.
>>> So some button "show unread" would be cool.
>>>
>> I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroup from the gmane mirror of the
>> list (gmane.comp.mathematics.sage.devel).  It's not in my regular email,
>> and newsreaders have all sorts of tools for tagging, filtering,
>> prioritizing messages, threading, etc.  That's worked out to be a
>> wonderful solution for me.
>
> Does this approach also work if you work on several computers? I
> usually just use 2 computers.

That is the one disadvantage that I've seen (I also use multiple
computers).  Typically I will first sort by date, pick the last message
I read, and mark all messages before that as read.  Then click a button
to sort back into threads and start reading.  It would be nice to have a
way to sync up message read status across multiple thunderbird
installations.  I suppose I could use something like git to synchronize
the local cache and settings, but that sounds painful.

Jason