I think I sent this from the wrong email address last time, since I
don't see it on google groups.  If you already got this I apologize.

In the past there was discussion about "automatic uploading" of sws
files and such on local servers so that double clicking an sws file
would do the right thing.

See for example here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/sage-devel@googlegroups.com/msg19059.html

which for some reason has all the messages in one thread while google
groups does not:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/msg/d43d50551fd22a28
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/msg/7af5aa59b0e4b2ee
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/msg/5d1759cadc7303a9

Bizarre.  But back to the topic at hand.

I would like to get ideas as to what types of files should be handled
and how. e.g. I know that pdf files can be used by sage, but having
never worked with them I don't know what opening a pdf file with sage
should do (if it even makes senseā€“e.g. can sage convert it to a
worksheet and open it).  I do know that an .sws file should be
"automatically uploaded" to the running notebook server (or start one
if there isn't one running) and opened in a browser.  Should a .sage
file be run in the terminal or somehow open up in the browser?  Should
Sage.app accept .tex, .gap, etc. files?

I personally think that the most important (and difficult?) files to
handle are .sws files, and I would like to implement this feature.  I
think I may have some time to do so in the next few weeks, but I need
to create the moral equivalent of

sage -upload /path/to/file.sws

Perhaps sage should know what to do with files instead of assuming
that it's a sage/python file so that something like:

sage /path/to/file.sws

would upload it without having to specify -upload.  Also

sage /path/to/file.gap

would know to start gap etc.  Do you think this would this be a
feature or a misfeature?

Wow, sorry for the long rambling email.

-Ivan