On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:30:01 -0800 (PST)
"ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:

> Could the conclusion be the following?
> "If you want (and if the realease manager includes corresponding
> patches), add support for Maxima commands which you need. When python
> of ginac will be able to replace these commands, these interfaces to
> Maxima commands will be removed."

I am really reluctant to keep adding functions, since they would have
to be maintained for a long time because of the deprecation policy.

Let's see if we can quickly come up with a "clean" solution in the
next couple of days. Then you can add the functionality you need (still
using maxima if necessary), using the interface that we will maintain
long term.

If this process takes too long, or if you still want to use only maxima
for this functionality even when we have Sage equivalents, we could
add a .maxima_methods() function to symbolic expressions which returns
a class that hosts wrappers to maxima methods. This would prevent
polluting the namespace of the class Expression, and provide a better
location to search for this functionality.

Thanks.

Burcin