Hi Nathann,

> For Linear Programming, I need to create plenty of symbolic variables
> which I use to represent linear functions.... To do it, I use the
> class InfinitePolynomialRing which lets me create them easily ( and it
> is really needed, as my colleagues often have to create Linear
> Programs using 1000~2000 variables. This is not a problem for the
> solvers, but Sage does not like it :
> To understand my problem, just try this code :
>
> X.<x> = InfinitePolynomialRing(RR)
> sum([x[i] for i in range(200)])
>
> Don't you think it is a bit long just to generate a sum ? I have to
> admit I do not know how this class is coded, and the slowness may be
> required for applications different from mine.. But wouldn't there be
> a way to speed this up ? If not, do you know of any way to generate
> many symbolic variables ( they do not need to be polynomial, just
> linear in my case ) ?

This is indeed a problem. I think I know the cause... Each time a new variable
is created, the ring itself is somehow changed. Therefore for each new
variable in your sum, there is a big computation which convert the former sum
to the new ring. Though this could be improved by using a similar trick than
doubling the size of a list when appending element, I'm not sure that's what
we want. In the mean time. I have the following workaround: Just start by
declaring your last variable:

| Sage Version 4.2, Release Date: 2009-10-24                         |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: X.<x> = InfinitePolynomialRing(RR)
sage: x[1000]
x1000
sage: time sum([x[i] for i in range(1000)])
CPU times: user 0.66 s, sys: 0.00 s, total: 0.66 s
Wall time: 0.66 s
[...]

Cheers,

Florent