I was just looking at

"os x 10.6 port -- numerous mysterious errors caused by weird 'abort
trap' issue"

and see discussion about problems with different gcc versions.

I've noticed that the MPFR test suite seems to have a habbit of
picking up compiler bugs.

* It was an MPFR test failure which found the memset() bug on Solaris

* When I got a test failure of MPFR on HP-UX, and reported it, I was
told it was a known compiler bug of gcc 4.4.0, which an MPFR developer
had reported, and has since been fixed.

Reading the MPFR lists, you get the feeling they really do care about
quality of code. Compiler warnings are rare, and any I have reported
have been investigated and discounted.

Although the tests take a bit of time (I think there are 148 of them
last time I counted), it might be time well spent. Given the total
time it takes to build Sage, I would estimate enabling the MPFR tests
would add less than 1% to the build time of Sage

Dave