I just built a Sage binary on one machine (Netra T1, Solaris 10
03/2005) and move it to a faster machine (Blade 2000) running the
latest version of Solaris. I installed it as root, in a different
location from where it was built on the first machine. I then tried to
run it as a normal user, and get

drkir...@swan:[~] $ /usr/local/sage-4.2-Solaris-10-SPARC-sun4u-SunOS/sage
| Sage Version 4.2, Release Date: 2009-10-24                         |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
The Sage install tree may have moved.
Regenerating Python.pyo and .pyc files that hardcode the install PATH
(please wait at most a few minutes)...
Do not interrupt this.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/usr/local/sage-4.2-Solaris-10-SPARC-sun4u-SunOS/local/bin/sage-location",
line 180, in <module>
    update_library_files(R)
  File
"/usr/local/sage-4.2-Solaris-10-SPARC-sun4u-SunOS/local/bin/sage-location",
line 128, in update_library_files
    open(LIB + F,'w').write(H)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/sage-4.2-Solaris-10-SPARC-sun4u-SunOS/local/lib/libsqlite3.la'

If files need to be rebuilt, it is worth stating these need to be done
by a user with privileges to write to file in the distribution. I
assume if I log in as root, I will get this message.