William Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> You may recall some discussion recently about ./sage -bdist  was not working
>> on
>> Solaris, due to a GNUism (the non-POSIX option -a to 'cp').
>>
>> I've attempted to fix this, by using more appropiate options for systems
>> other
>> than Linux. There are basically two changes
>>
>> I am however getting this message
>>
>> drkir...@kestrel:~/sage-4.2$ ./sage -bdist Solaris10
>> Sage works!
>> Copying files over to tmp directory
>> cp: cannot access *.sage
>> Copying Sage library over
>> Making empty spkg's
>> Creating tar.gz
>> sage-Solaris10-sun4u-SunOS/
>> sage-Solaris10-sun4u-SunOS/examples/
>> <snip>
>> Moving final distribution file to /export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.2/dist
>>
>> I need to remake the tar file anyway, as I forgot to put the version number
>> in
>> the tar file name, and also it has been upgraded to 4.2.1.
>>
>> My updated build script to make the binary is at
>>
>> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/sage-bdist/
>>
>> I will add this to trac
>>
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7407
>>
>> but I'm not going to do that if there's a problem with it.
>>
>> The binary is 735M. Does that seem about right ? I've no idea how I'm going
>> upload that to 't2'!! It will take ages on my network, which is only 256 kB/s
>
> That is nearly twice the size of all the other binaries:
>     http://wstein.org/home/wstein/binaries/
>
> William

One possibility is files rather than links are being copied. The options to
'cp'
for Solaris are different from those for Linux and OS X. I have not changed
those, but needed to for Solaris, to avoid this '-a' option for 'cp'.

For OS's apart from Linux and OS X, I've just assumed POSIX support. I've made
no attempt to work around any limitions on HP-UX, but issued a warning on that
and several other older platforms.

If you can take a look at
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/sage-bdist/

I'd welcome any comments. I was going to add that to the trac item for review,
but perhaps I need to look at it more carefully first.

Dave