Hey Francois. I too thought that perhaps the spkg supplied flags would
override any changes with custom flags. However the custom flags seem
to be appended to the spkg provided ones. For example

with custom CFLAGS
building 'sage.algebras.quatalg.quaternion_algebra_element' extension
gcc -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -march=opteron -
O2 -pipe -fPIC

with CFLAGS unset
building 'sage.algebras.quatalg.quaternion_algebra_element' extension
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-
prototypes -fPIC

The no-strict-aliasing get's lost! I'll give your suggestion a whirl,
but it will take some time to rebuild things.

Steve