Hello,

In upgrading Sage (http://sagemath.org) from Maxima-5.16 to
Maxima-5.19 some of our users have encountered a major show-stopper
issue.   These are users that install Sage on certain NFS mounted
directories where certain filesystem operations are necessarily slow.
Basically, starting up Maxima 5.19 takes minutes (!), whereas
Maxima-5.16 was nearly instant (all else being equal).

One user ran strace and said that the following two things jumped out at him:

1. "maxima opens the root directory / and stats each file found there.
 Then it does the same thing for the /u (home) directory.  The sys
admin believes the bottleneck is the slow response of doing a stat on
each NFS home directory, especially slowed down by the home
directories that are remotely NFS mounted from across the country."
>From a computer security viewpoint, the user also expressed very
strong concerns about why maxima is running stat on / and /u.

2. The user reports that "maxima reads the file
local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/sysfun.lsp one character at a time doing 72K
read() calls of one
character each.  The sys admin doubts that is anywhere near the
problem of the NFS stat calls, but it does seem inefficient."

So, I'm curious if the above rings any bells for anybody familiar with
recent Maxima development.  Even a hint as to where I can look to see
what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics