On 12/10/09, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. "maxima opens the root directory / and stats each file found there.
>  Then it does the same thing for the /u (home) directory.  The sys
> admin believes the bottleneck is the slow response of doing a stat on
> each NFS home directory, especially slowed down by the home
> directories that are remotely NFS mounted from across the country."

My first guess is that the Maxima build was misconfigured
and Maxima doesn't have the right value of *MAXIMA-SHAREDIR*.
What does "maxima --directories" report?

Maxima tries to construct the list of share directories at run time.
I'm guessing it's looking at / in the mistaken belief that it's the
top of the share directory.

> 2. The user reports that "maxima reads the file
> local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/sysfun.lsp one character at a time doing 72K
> read() calls of one character each.  The sys admin doubts that is anywhere
> near the
> problem of the NFS stat calls, but it does seem inefficient."

Well, when I try it, I see sysfun.lsp being read in blocks of 8 K.
Dunno why it would try to read it one byte at a time.
Maybe ECL tried to determine a suitable block size and failed?
Just a guess.

FWIW

Robert Dodier