William Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> William Stein wrote:

>>> We need to figure out what creates that file and get rid of it.
>>> Presumably it is some line in the spkg-install for the python spkg.
>>>
>>> William
>> It does not appear to be created in spkg-install. I looked over that
>> spkg-install, and can't see it. Perhaps you can. There several directories
>> deleted, then a link made, but I can't see this incorrect link being made.
>>
>> I think it must be the python distribution, which by the way is a couple of
>> versions out of date. But there are so many patches to python in Sage, I was
>> bit reluctant to attempt an update of the python .spkg
>>
>> This is also a rather annoying hard-link created in python - the only hard
>> link
>> in the whole of Sage. Someone (forget who) found the line in the python
>> distribution which does that, but I was a bit reluctant to start patching
>> python. Perhaps I should, as that hard link creates issues on Solaris.
>>
>> It would apear POSIX is not explicit about how hard links are copied, which
>> would be a good reason for replacing this with a symbolic link. But I am not
>> too
>> happy about attempting to upgrade a package I know little about, and don't
>> understand fully.
>
> If there is exactly one hard link, why not just delete it and make the
> equivalent symlink?  It seems like patching Python is overkill.
>
> William

OK, if it seems sensible to you, I'll
1) Delete this broken link in spkg-install
2) Delete the hard link in spkg-install
3) Create a soft link in spkg-install.

Does that seem reasonable? If so, I'll do that.

The other option is someone look at updating python to 2.6.4, as its only a
bug-fix release, with no new features. I've not looked to see if addresses this
specific issues - I could not find the readme which shows the changes from
2.6.2
(in Sage) to 2.6.4 (the latest release).

Dave.