solarg wrote:
On 01/ 6/10 03:24 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
It's gone 2 AM here, and I'm not going to go into a deep debugging session, but if anyone has any ideas about the error below, let me know.

Systems is a Sun Ultra 27, 3.333 GHz Xeon.
Open Solaris 06/2009
gcc 4.4.2, configured to use the Sun linker (not GNU 'ld')

Assembler:
    "/var/tmp//cctray_x.s", line 14 : Syntax error
    Near line: "        fmul %st, %st"

just in case: did you use sun as or gnu as?
For antoher lib ((mpeg) i was forced to recompile gcc to use gnu as (from binutils 2.18, SUNWbinutils is 2.15, too old):

Thank you. This was compiled to use the Sun assembler and linker. You might well have hit the reason for the problem there, though of course anything writing assembly code for a Sun should work with the Sun assembler - whether the assembler is produced by the compiler, or hand written.

Unfortunately, neither ATL_dnrm2_xp0yp0aXbX.c or /var/tmp//cctray_x.s actually exist on the machine, so its hard to file a useful bug report, when the temporary files which showed the error have gone.

I'll post a report on the ATLAS bug tracker.

Dave