Dima Pasechnik wrote:
On Jan 9, 7:17 pm, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
IMHO, this conversation should be a new thread,
on sage-devel not on sage-support.

OK, so let me repost here the state of affairs AFAIK.
For some reason it is believed that GAP.4.4.12 cannot be currently
packaged with Sage, due to a problem with an Itanium build.

I went to an Itanium cluster I have access to, and checked that said
GAP builds/works OK.
Specifically, it is ia64-suse-linux, and it's built with
gcc-4.1.2, the usual GAP optimisation level (O2).
On the other hand, it cannot be built with the Intel 10.1 compiler and
the optimisation level greater than O0.

Is the Intel 10.1 compiler a must? If not, what does stop GAP 4.4.12
then?

Dmitrii
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/dima/

Is there a link to a complete .spkg I can download and test on Solaris?

Note I made some changes to the spkg-install of the current version, replacing things like $RM with 'rm' and $CP with 'cp' etc.

I'd like to test your version on Solaris. Hopefully you can find a way to override the behavior of unsettling CC and CXX. That's probably what breaks your Intel compiler build, and will certainly break an attempt to build with the Sun compiler.

An environment variable like "SAGE_DONT_OVERRIDE_COMPILERS" which would allow the package to honor the settings would be easy to implement. A few things in the spkg-install seemed a bit broken - see the comments on the above ticket.

Dave