On Jan 11, 9:43 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:37 AM, ghtdak <gl...@tarbox.org> wrote:

> >> Are you putting the notebook, GUI, and Sage compute all in the same
> >> process?  How many processes do you have and how do they communicate?
>
> > All the same process which is the trick which makes everything
> > "easy".
>
> What happens when the Sage process segfaults?

In this case, everything dies.  This is a trade-off I make to exploit
Sage / Numpy / Python alongside my performance optimized real-time C++
code without doing a whole lotta work.

This works for me because my actual system lives on a multicast bus
with read-only files and other pieces which will survive.  The real
point is to facilitate a shell type session and live data... and C++
GUI stuff which is high performance (PyQt / matplotlib is WAY too
slow) I'm using QGraphicsView with OpenGL extensions and have lots of
dynamic graphics.  The OpenGL is just 2D for now but is much faster,
particularly on Linux boxes as the X process is easily overloaded if
you don't get underneath with the graphics card

> > At the end of the day, though, this is merely a specific case and a
> > continuation of the asynchronous notebook server saga which may be
> > part of the notebook rewrite.  If not... well... ipython it is.
>
> That is not part of the notebook rewrite.

Ah.