+1.

I'm trying to coercions between finite fields to behave automatically, which
leads to needing nth roots in finite fields for large n (exactly the
situation Yann is talking about).  Not having to worry about factoring p^k-1
would be really nice: I'm already having to worry about various speed issues
in object creation if this change works out.
David