Martin Albrecht wrote:

It looks like there are plenty of patches to singular: spkg-install
 contains

patch()
{
     # work-around patches
     cp patches/mminit.cc src/kernel/
     cp patches/assert.h src/factory/
     cp patches/kernel.rmodulon.cc src/kernel/rmodulon.cc
     cp patches/src.Singular.Makefile.in src/Singular/Makefile.in
     cp patches/Singular.libsingular.h src/Singular/libsingular.h
     cp patches/factory.GNUmakefile.in src/factory/GNUmakefile.in
     cp patches/libfac.charset.alg_factor.cc
 src/libfac/charset/alg_factor.cc cp patches/kernel.Makefile.in
 src/kernel/Makefile.in
     cp patches/Singular.Makefile.in src/Singular/Makefile.in
     cp patches/Singular.tesths.cc src/Singular/tesths.cc
     #cp patches/Singular.configure src/Singular/configure
     #cp patches/Singular.configure.in src/Singular/configure.in
}

I suspect some of them have GNUisms in them, though  this does build 32-bit
 SPARC.

A lot of this is me being lazy and not submitting out fixes upstream. The development model right now is that I patch whatever I deem necessary for libsingular to work (e.g. include more header files etc.) and my changes are then reviewed and (when accepted) applied upstream. This long list indicates, that I should submit a batch of patches again.

Martin

Thank you for owning up!

Could you check over them, and make sure there is nothing that makes assumptions about GNU compilers, 32-bit, 64-bit, Linux, or anything else that will messes up portability. Though I gather the issue is with building the library.

Dave