On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:05:29 -0600, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com>
wrote:
> Personally, I think the wiki question is too hard now and prevents
> people from easily contributing good things.  For example, someone ended
> up giving up (for now) contributing something because they forgot to
> divide by two when finding the area.
>
> The current question is:  What is the area of the right triangle with
> side lengths (24/5, 35/12, 337/60)?
>
> How about asking for the next prime number after 7?  That seems a lot
> easier and does not involve remembering geometry that you may not have
> seen in a long time, computing things with lots of fractions, etc.

And no, it was not at all embarrassing to admit this in a public forum;
I just hope my calculus students will not get a hold of this.

Even better was that when I saw that my commit was rejected, my first
thought was that the sides were listed in the funny way (with the
hypotenuse being one of the first two).  So I opened sage and did
RR(24/5), etc.  Then I realized what had gone wrong.

Back on topic, I like Jason's idea.  I would ask for the next prime
number after 8, just so we get the right answer even if someone
interprets "after" as ">=".

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/