Another thing to consider is memory bandwidth.  Many calculations these days
are memory bandwidth bound, not disk/CPU bound.  If you get a single machine
with lots of cores and lots of RAM this is more of an issue.  The current
generation of Intel CPUs (the Xeon 5500's) are better with their triple
channel memory, but you will still run into this eventually.  A few years
ago we did some benchmarks of very simple parallel calculations
(embarassingly parallel) with IPython.  We found that with as few as 8
cores, our calculations stopped speeding up.  We tracked it down to the
memory bottleneck.

The other issue is that if you stick with dual quad core systems you can use
the cheaper Xeon 5500 CPUs.  If you go beyond that, you have to use the more
expensive 7000 series CPUs, which increases your cost per core.  Here is a
great site for messing with configurations:

www.thinkmate.com

Obviously, as others have noted, having more hosts with fewer cores on each
increases the sys-admin burden quite a bit :(

I am in the process of purchasing a cluster myself in this same price
range.  My plan is to stick to dual socket systems with 4-6 cores in each
socket (not sure if I will go Intel or AMD).  It looks like I will be able
to get as many as 72 cores with 3-6 GB RAM per core.....we'll see if I can
handle the sys-admin on this...

One final thing is that Intel is going to be coming out with a new 6 core
CPU in the next few months.  But, you could wait for faster hardware forever
;-)

Sounds fun though!

Cheers,

Brian