On 01-31-2010, at 4:29 PM, Andy Somogyi wrote:

> Hello All
>
> Here is a link to a prototype sage desktop app for the Mac.
>
> http://numerator.sourceforge.net/SageApp.dmg
>
> Its 100% native, Cocoa model / view application. On startup, it creates a
> background process with the sage notebook server, and users can open as many
> windows as they want to it. It also has a console where it dumps the output
> of the sage process. As it is a native app, the download is about 100K in
> size. Its universal binary, I've tested it on Snow Leopard - core 2 duo, and
> Leopard - G4. Will not work with Tiger.
>
> Each window is just hosts a WebKit widget.
>
> The first time it is run, it will ask the user for the location of the sage
> runtime, this will typically be:
> /Application/sage/sage,
>
> this needs to be the actual sage executable script, you can set this with a
> file chooser dialog. If you want to change it in the future, it is stored in
> the standard defaults file of
> USERNAME/Library/Preferences/org.sagemath.Sage.App.plist
>
> The sage process takes about 5 - 10 seconds to start, when it starts, the
> first window will be told to open the localhost:8000 url.
>
> This is a first prototype, it has little functionality currently, will
> probably crash, almost certainly has numerous memory leaks, and is FAR, FAR,
> FAR from complete, but it is a START.
>
> Note, I am very happy to maintain and update this for the long term.
>
> Eventually, I want to have something that behaves similarly to the
> Mathematica desktop, and I think this is certainly possible with a
> Javascript/HTML5 based UI hosted in a set of WebKit views, and wrapped in a
> nice Cocoa app. The backed end / server is 100% cross platform, the client
> fits in nicely with the native desktop. It would be fairly simple for Windows
> person to come up with a Windows type app like this, and same for Linux / GTK
> person.

I certainly like this idea. However, the notebook isn't really the best thing
for longer
functions. It's great for trying ideas out.

> So, try it out, let me know what features you would like to see.

Something along the lines of the MATLAB editor to edit functions that you can
then
send to a cell in the WebKit view.

> Where would be a good place to store the source code to this?

Probably one of Google Code, BitBucket, or GitHub. This came up in regards to
another Sage
related piece of code. Google Code supports Mercurial (like Sage) and offers
1GB of space. So, it's great for larger projects. BitBucket is solely
Mercurial, but only offers 150MB. However, it supports a different workflow for
sharing code and bringing in updates. Lastly, GitHub offers 300MB and supports
a similar workflow to BitBucket (but better implemented in my opinion). The
only problem is that it's designed for Git. It supports Mercurial through an
hg-to-git extension that's in development.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey