The problem is not as simple as I thought at first. After digging for
a while, I think I found the constraint which leads to the behavior I
observed:

On 1 Feb., 11:12, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 02:31 PM, xtian wrote:
> > In the Sage 4.3.1 interpreter, an attached file gets re-read
> > exactly two times when changed. Subsequent changes
> > (saved to disk, of course) do not trigger re-reading the file.
> Could you please give a specific example (e.g., file contents, commands
> to evaluate in sequence) that exhibits the problem?

Create a file (e.g. foo.sage) with the following content:

print "foo"
print "bar"
print "baz"

Now, attach the file to your Sage session:

| Sage Version 4.3.1, Release Date: 2010-01-20                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: attach foo.sage
foo
bar
baz

Any change you do to foo.sage (and save the file to disk)
will make Sage to re-read the file, just as expected.

Now, insert 'reset()' as the first line into foo.sage, so that it
reads:

reset()
print "foo"
print "bar"
print "baz"

Save the file and hit return. Sage re-reads the file. Now, do some
more
changes to foo.sage, but leave the first line as-is, e.g. comment out
one 'print' line, save, hit return in the sage interpreter.

>From now on, for me the Sage interpreter does no longer re-read
foo.sage when I change and save it.

Seems reset() does something with the Sage machine state which
the new attach() code in Sage 4.3.1 does not like.

I used to put reset() in the first line of my scripts since I started
working
with Sage, but the effect seen here started to show with 4.3.1.

Best regards, xtian