On 2 Feb., 16:42, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quick note: 1.  I make squashfs for Sage, and if you do it right, it's
> 390MB.  You have to replace the spkg's by empty files.

That's right, I thought you need  the spks's to (re)compile other
packages?
Then you can use sage from an old 512MB usb-stick or sd card.
For schools in poorer countries this could be useful.
The old debian squashfs had builtin lzma support, but they had to drop
it
when squashfs came into the kernel. Unfortunatly the kernel lzma is
not good enough
for squashfs, so they have to use gzip. The kernel develeoper are
working
on this. So later the sqfs files will get smaller. We will see.

> 2. Anybody can make squashfs's for Sage or anything else themselves;
> having us distribute them would increase our workload a lot...

I know this, therefore I would maintain it, because I produce these
sqfs files anyway.
I'm using sage on my jaunty (9.04) vserver, which does not have
enough
ram/swap for compiling sage, therefore I have such an image.
On the other hand my idea was something like a netbook edition too.
I didn't want to increase your workload. I thought it would be nice to
give others
my sage sqfs files, because it takes quite a lot of time to make them.

> > that's not an improvement. On the other hand, are you talking about
> > the live cd? Yes, that's an outdated and when you have created a
> > better live cd, that runs on more systems, we are happy to host it.

I don't know if it is worth the time. I can write a wiki how to use
the standard ubuntu
install cd system and the sqfs file from a usb-stick to use it live.
This would be
much easier and the problem will be solved by canonical or the ubuntu
community.

> > also don't understand the part about speed and parallelization. On all
> > my PCs the extraction speed is limited by disk I/O ...
copying 50000 files with 1.4GB or 1 File with 1.4GB is very different.
And the sqfs is just 390 MB or 640 MB as you wish.

Thank you very much for this great open source project.
Frank Polte