On Feb 4, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Robert Bradshaw wrote:
On Feb 4, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
I created a patch to fix a numerical noise issue.

Expected:
  0.85914091422952255
Got:
  0.85914091422952277

After doing this, I realised I'd put too many dots on the end, so instead of the two needed, I'd put three.

0.85914091422952...

Only the '55' differs, so I need one less dot.
FYI, you still need three dots. The dot's don't stand for digits, they stand for .* (in the regex sense).

Thank you.
How is the best way to recover from this?

As pointed out, you can manually edit the patch for something this simple. Long term, learn queues. (That seems to be a theme lately...)

Does this look right?

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/8185/8185-numerical-noise.patch

Yes. Looks like another thing coming from Solaris having a non-optimal literal value for e (exp(1), decimal floating point literals, etc.). I'd much rather fix the underlying issue, but I wouldn't know where to start.

- Robert