> >> I strongly support this.  Judging by how solid my tests are with
> >> 4.3.2
> >> already, the 4.3.2 release will definitely be happening this
> >> Saturday.
> >>   I'm highly impressed with how efficiently Minh is handling the
> >> 4.3.2
> >> release cycle.

> >> I hope people will do these reviews ASAP, so this can all get into
>
> > One thing that makes doing these reviews difficult is that each Pynac
> > spkg is sort of a patch bomb.  There are a lot of doctest failures/
> > segfaults with each update until one applies *all* the patches, and
> > when there are 5-15 of these (sometimes multiple for a given ticket),
> > it is difficult to disentangle whether any of them are 'real' at each
> > stage.  I don't feel comfortable loading in all of them at once and
> > giving a sweeping positive review if we are really supposed to test
> > and try edge cases for each ticket individually.  Doing a good job of
> > reviewing nine tickets simultaneously could take many hours.
>
> > So I propose something which might be dumb, but which I'll throw out
> > there anyway.  Since sagenb and pynac are so integrally bound up with
> > Sage, would it be possible to have their spkgs automatically keep the
> > build materials, for trying patches and for sage -b to do changes?
> > Then one could have
> > hg_sage
> > hg_extcode
> > hg_scripts
> > hg_pynac
> > hg_sagenb
> > or at the very least be able to apply patches one at a time to Pynac
> > from its tree, see how that changes just the one Sage patch, and move
> > on from there. Maybe I'm the only person who would be helped by this,
> > but maybe not.
>
> > I understand that the current system obviously works okay, especially
> > since Burcin clearly has done *more* than the lion's share of this
> > great work and it is extremely convenient for him.  But it also makes
> > it really hard for new people, or ones who can't spend more than 20-30
> > minutes at a time on it, to help with this.
>
> I just want to say +1 to all of the above--there really needs to be a
> better way of handling the code (spkgs) that are not under the main
> revision control, but primarily developed by Sage developers and
> intimately connected to the Sage library, especially with regards to
> the referee system. I don't have any easy answers...
>
> - Robert

Okay, I will move this discussion to sage-devel then.

For a start, one could have such spkgs (after building) remain in spkg/
build, as bzip and prereq already inhabit that space.  I assume this
would be possible using sage-spkg, or the spkg install scripts?  And
adding a couple extra things at the bottom of misc/hg.py might fairly
easily make central revision control possible for that.  Or are both
of these things more subtle than I think?

- kcrisman