I wonder whether it would be possible to give a better error message
when a user leaves out the multiplication operator in something like
x(x+1). Perhaps somthing like: "Warning: you may have forgotten a
multiplication operator."

Currently one gets the error message: "DeprecationWarning:
Substitution using function-call syntax and unnamed arguments is
deprecated and will be removed from a future release of Sage; you can
use named arguments instead, like EXPR(x=...,y=...)". This error
message is meaningful only to people who know the history of sage and
know that there used to be a confusing shorthand notation that allowed
something like x=a^2 to be interpreted as x(a)=a^2. I am glad that was
deprecated, but I think that the deprecation warning should be
preceeded by the warning about the possibility of a missing *.