Just from a purely pragmatic perspective, I would love if for binary
builds the libraries (especially libstdc++) used during building would
be *available* (not necessarily linked to) by default. Several times I
ran into a situation where I quickly wanted to test something with a
new version of sage on a (redhat or fedora) machine for which no
precisely matching binary was available. libstdc++ seems to be a
particularly volatile library (i.e., gets upgraded with pretty much
every OS release), and hence binaries that were one version off would
not work. After tracking down the appropriate version of libstdc++ and
putting that in $SAGE_ROOT/local/lib, everything worked fine.

In other situations I gave up on finding the appropriate library and
submitted to a 3 hour compile from source or abandoned the project. I
would have much preferred to have done something like

ln -s $SAGE_ROOT/buildtime/lib/* $SAGE_ROOT/local/lib

and got on with the job. I do not control which version of the OS
these machines are running and do not have administrative permissions
on them.