Hi Robert,

>> In order to sanitize the behavior of objects, parents and elements in
>> sage,
>> I'm about to add some tests to the framework. I think they are all
>> reasonable
>> but I may be asking to much. Please comment about the following:
>>
>> 1 - Any SageObject must have an equality methods such that
>>      self == self and self != None
>>
>> 2 - Element construction should be idempotent. More precisely, for any
>>     element e within parent P, the equality P(e) == e must hold.
>>     This is for example needed by the constructor of many Parent with a
>> base
>>     ring, such as matrices.
>
> Elements of real interval fields don't satisfy the above two constraints
> (the notion of equality for intervals being that every element of the first
> interval is equal to every element in the second).

You get the point. As far as I understand a RIF only return True if the
interval are reduced to a single point. Is it right ? It would be better to
return a special value like Unknown than False. But that's another question...

Anyway, I'm strongly info favor of giving 1- and 2- a general rule with an
explicit exception for RIF. As I said, the test framework allows such
exceptions. Is there an agreement on

 * Making 1- and 2- below a general rule

>> 1 - Any SageObject must have an equality methods such that
>>      self == self and self != None
>>
>> 2 - Element construction should be idempotent. More precisely, for any
>>     element e within parent P, the equality P(e) == e must hold.

  * Making explicit exception for particular cases such as RIF.

Cheers,

Florent