I've just been looking at the SPKG.txt for sqlite and see:

=== sqlite-3.6.19.p0 (Mike Hansen, October 26th, 2009) ===
 * Updated to 3.6.19 with http://sqlite.org/sqlite-amalgamation-3.6.19.tar.gz.

=== sqlite-3.6.17.p0 (Dan Drake, October 25th, 2009) ===
 * Remove obsolete Makefile.in "patch" for Cygwin, since the new
   sqlite source uses autoconf. Remove special Cygwin bits from
   spkg-install; we don't need the client on Cygwin, but we install it
   anyway.

Mike, who knows far more about Sage than me, has started the patch level at 0, despite he has updated the version of sqlite. Is that what one is supposed to do? I thought the package would be called sqlite-3.6.19, as there have been no patches since Mike updated this.

In some ways, I think it would be better if the patch level was incremented every time a change of any sort was made to a package. One could then see the packages which needs regular patching for some reason. Anything that needs a lot of maintenance, would tend to be a bit worrying. I note 'R' got to patch level 22 at one point, and looking at the spkg-install, you can see it has a lot of crud in it.

Dave