On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 2 March 2010 14:50, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What you wrote is already amazingly crystal clear and of course
>> matches exactly with what I do anyways (which is probably what you
>> were recording there).  I just didn't know about it, and clearly David
>> didn't either.
>>
>> Minh -- thanks!!
>>
>>  -- William
>
> Agreed.
>
> The only point I thought might be a little troublesome is the use of
> the 'patch' command. There is says the preferred method is to use 'cp'
> rather than 'patch', but does not totally rule out use of 'patch'.
> (There is even an example of its use).I think you said recently
> 'patch' must never be used. The page also says the Solaris patch
> program can't handle unified diffs, which is not true, but it is
> certainly true that one can generate diff's on Linux systems which the
> Sun 'patch' command can't handle.
>
> I've never myself met a Unix system which does not have the 'patch'
> command. It is part of the POSIX standard. If it's agreed that 'patch'
> must never be used, then perhaps that needs stating a bit more clearly
> on that page.

It's come up many times, and I personally am against the explicit use
of 'patch' in spkg-install.  It *was* used recently by somebody for
gfan, which made upgrading *break* for an entire Sage release (which
was really bad, imho).  I just think using patch explicitly tends to
be error prone, and is definitely not necessary.

 -- William