On Mar 7, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Florent Hivert wrote:

     Hi there,

Note that I've no idea how hard it is to implement in trac, neither if we
have the necessary hardware to support this load.

From reading the Sage merge script, I think one could use that script
or write something along similar lines to implement a (simple)
proof-of-concept continuous buildbot. That is, without adding any new
fields to trac. I just want to point out that the current number of
fields on a trac ticket can overwhelm a beginner, indeed anyone. More
fields added would mean more time spent thinking about what
information to add to which field. In many cases, one could easily
write a lot of information clearly and concisely as a ticket comment.
If the information is critical for reviewing a ticket, such
information could be written in the ticket description. If you have
been following how David Kirkby writes his descriptions for Solaris
and portability tickets, you would see what I mean.

I surely agree with all of that. However, I'm not sure it would be easy to write a sufficiently clever buildbot that is able to automatically find the necessary information from the ticket description. Hence my suggestion to add
more field. Another maybe simpler solution is to be able to launch the
buildbot by hands say from a trac webpage, after giving him the lists of patches. This should not be a time consuming task for the author/ reviewer.

Single ticket patches (the majority of them) are easy to handle. If there is more than one ticket, it can try applying them all, and that failing, applying only the last one, noting that it needs more information on failure. As for specifying more complicated orders, we were talking about this during the last Sage days and the best idea was that it would look for the last bulleted list that consisted of patch file names. Thus the author would write something like

Apply the patches in this order:

 * integrate-fix.patch
 * referee-comments.patch
 * doctest-fix.patch

And both the automated system and build bot could figure this out.

- Robert