In my personal opinion, a decent stabilisation release could be achieved by everyone submitting just bug fixes.
Yep. The problem is that this involves telling everyone what to do.

Not really. You tell people what a release will consist of. It is to them whether or not they want to submit bugs or enhancements for review. They will just be aware that the enhancements will have to wait for a release.

There should be very little for them to rebase their enhancements either, as the changes made to Sage will not be as large as normal.

Okay, then you tell people that their hard work will not be packaged in the next iteration. Maybe that's life, but it will certainly discourage me from contributing when I'm told in advance that my changes will not be incorporated in the usual manner.

Nick