From: daveloeffler <dave.loeff...@gmail.com>
Date: 10 March 2010 15:33
Subject: [sage-nt] Embeddings into QQbar hang
To: sage-nt <sage...@googlegroups.com>

Is there any reason why one shouldn't be able to work with number
fields embedded into QQbar? Since our QQbar class permits exact
calculation, but has a canonical embedding into CC, it seems the
natural place for the "default embeddings" of cyclotomic fields,
quadratic fields and so on. I was playing with this a bit, and found a
bug that locked up our research group's server so hard it was out of
action for 24 hours.

sage: QuadraticField(-7,'a',embedding=QQbar(-7).sqrt())
Number Field in a with defining polynomial x^2 + 7

That's all well and good, but if I then type *exactly the same command
again*, Sage locks up totally! It becomes completely unresponsive
(Control-C doesn't work) and the memory usage climbs until the machine
jams up totally, unless you can kill it quickly from another console
session.

 tried running this with the "trace" command, and it gets as far as
computing the square root the second time round, but then gets locked
up what looks like the beginning of an infinite loop involving the
files sage.misc.function_mangling, sage.misc.cachefunc, and
sage.categories.category -- I think it's trying to compute some join
operation on categories, but what that has to do with computing the
square root of -7 is a mystery to me. Does anyone know what's going on
here?