On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:38 AM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am taking the liberty of forwarding this to sage-devel since it
> seems much too important for just sage-nt.  OK, so that was my machine
> David locked up (apparently!).  It has 128GB of RAM so does not easily
> run out...
>
> John

It is easy to change your linux install so that normal users *can't*
crash/hang the machine by using too much RAM.  I do that on the
sage.math cluster.    You probably have kernel virtual memory
overcommit set to "on" with your machines, and this is a bad idea,
since it means any users can trivially  crash them (or at least make
them totally nonresponsive).

This article describes virtual memory overcommit:
    http://lwn.net/Articles/104179/

At the end of the charming article, it says to turn it off all you
have to do is put these lines at the end of /etc/sysctl.conf":

# Get rid of OOM. See http://lwn.net/Articles/104179/
vm.overcommit_memory=2

Do this to make the effect immediate (without rebooting):

wst...@boxen:~$ sudo sysctl vm/overcommit_memory=2
vm.overcommit_memory = 2

--
William Stein