On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:41:16 +0000, "Dr. David Kirkby"
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> > NUM_THREADS=10
> > in makefile. Then I issued "make ptestlong", only to see that cddlib
> > was reinstalled. Doctesting is still running in parallel using 10
> > threads.
>
> I've not tried a parallel ptestlong myself. I'll see what happens on one of
> my
> machines. I can't see why cddlib would be reinstalled.
>
> It is probably worth using far more than 10 threads on 't2'. Although it has
> 16
> core, there are 128 hardware threads. I've convinced myself that one needs to
> use at least 256 threads to get optimal performance. In fact, going to 1000
> threads is very slightly quicker.
>
> I think I posted some benchmarks I'd done before on 't2', and quite simply
> setting threads=cores does not give anywhere near the performance possible.
> Of
> course, you don't want to bring 't2' to its knees, but it is not heavily used.

We have to be careful here and experiment some more before
recommending a number.  A couple of weeks ago I tried make ptestlong
with 100 threads on t2 and had to eventually kill everything in sight
manually to avoid disaster :).

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- http://aghitza.org/
Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne -- Australia