Thanks for all the comments, links on gap and Sage.
Rob,  the two tracs on abelian groups and unit groups of rings are
just what we were wondering about.  We'll look at them and see if we
can do something.  Please do send the worksheet you mentioned on unit
groups.
What was the difficulty with subgroups?

Some questions:
[A warning: I'm not that adept with computational software, so some
questions may be naive.  I'm relying on smart students on this
project!]

A fundamental issue is not clear to us:  To what extent functionality
for groups be sent via libgap to gap, vs doing things in Sage itself?
Would the longterm (or midterm) goal be to have the  Sage groups
package be mainly an efficient conduit to gap?

How should the different kinds of groups interact?
Finitely presented groups, matrix groups, abelian groups, permutation
groups, unit groups of rings--each has its own type of efficient
representation.
Suppose I want to take a unit group of a finite ring and "coerce" it
into an abelian group to find its elementary divisors. (Or the same
with the center of some matrix group.)  Or suppose I want to
to write a finite matrix group as a permutation group.  How should
this been done?  How does it relate to the python class structure?
Is this already done in gap, and we just take advantage of gap
capabilities?

Related issue: As Dima mentioned functionality of the different types
of groups is not consistent.  Are we looking for consistency at a
high
level, using the same names for functions, or at a deeper code level?