On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>>> ... I would imagine Sage would have native
>>> implementations of permutation groups, matrix groups, etc. and call of to
>>> Gap for things like solving the word problem, but not for basic
>>> arithmetic

This was a question I was particularly interested in when we were
first getting libGAP's proof-of-concept to work. IIRC, GAP's basic
arithmetic for permutation groups via libgap is enviable. I think it
would take large amounts of work to reproduce the quality and speed
found there, and may not approach it still for years.... Of course,
this is based on foggy memories from Barcelona last summer, but I
remember being surprised by this.

>>> ... libgap as it is currently is still string-based.

That's not really the story. Our proof of concept was that you could
hook into the interpreter loop. But we were also able to hook into
core library functions, and permutation group arithmetic in GAP is
written in pure C, and very very fast. (I don't just mean
multiplication of permutations, but the BSGS (base and strong gen.
set, not baby step giant step) "linear algebra" that figures out the
group structure, etc.

--
Robert L. Miller
http://www.rlmiller.org/