It came to my attention a little while ago that Sage is applying to be
a Google Summer of Code mentoring organization, and soon after that I
discovered PYCA ( http://code.google.com/p/cellular-automata-sage-toolkit/
), a cellular automaton package written by Iztok Jeras which hasn't
seen very many recent changes.  I'd like to implement all the planned
features listed on that Google Code page, along with

    * algorithms like Hashlife ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashlife
),
    * support for public repositories of patterns so that users can
import, run and edit/save well-known patterns (e.g. the Gosper glider
gun in Conway's Game of Life),
    * lots of new visualization tools,
    * an interactive editing/running area of unlimited size,
    * and surely many other features and tools as I learn more about
cellular automata.

Would this be feasible as something to work on for GSoC?  I'd also
like to know who might be available as a mentor for this project.

 - Kazuo Thow