I wonder if the category infrastructure would support a pervasive
command like

R=IntegerModRing(7)
R.promote(Fields(), with_check=True)
R.category()
Category of fields

with the construction doing no extra work, and the promote method
having defaults and exceptions consistent with John and Nick's
"explicit is better" philosophy?

I had though about is_field doing the upgrade, but I think these sort
of side-effects are confusing.

Rob