I've discovered a bit more about this issue. The Singular spkgs in 4.3.3
and 4.3.4 are exactly the same, so it can't be that. There were no
changes to free_module.py between 4.3.3 and 4.3.4.

I used Mercurial's bisect command to track down the offending patch. I
tried several times, and it always seems to settle on:

    changeset:   13970:2ac86b8692b8
    user:        Florent Hivert <florent.hiv...@univ-rouen.fr>
    date:        Wed Feb 17 18:54:13 2010 +0100
    summary:     #8276: MatrixSpace.one(), .identity_matrix() and
                 .zero_matrix() are now immutable.

This was in my Ubuntu Hardy VM. I am trying to see if I get the same
problem in my Lucid VM, but when I move back to 4.3.3 and then forward
again, it complains about missing the processing module, since we
removed the pyprocessing spkg at some point. I haven't been able to get
Sage to stop looking for pyprocessing, even though I've updated the Sage
library to a revision where supposedly pyprocessing is not necessary
(and even though it all worked properly before I started jumping around
with "hg up"!)

I can't imagine why this patch could possibly cause this problem. Does
anyone have any ideas?

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake