Atlas is supposed to find out what sort of processor your machine has
automatically and then use tuning data for that.  But it is not
perfect at detecting the processor type, so then it goess of to do
this tuning stuff which takes hours.  The same happened to me when I
got a new laptop in 2008.  Until Sage upgraded Atlas the only was I
found to stop this (very) time-consuming step happening for every Sage
build (often unsuccessfully) was to keep the previous successful
build.

Once you have a good build of Atlas, take a copy of SAGE_ROOT/local;
and set SAGE_ATLAS to point to that copied directory.  then when you
build Sage it will use that copy of Atlas instead of rebuilding it.

John